Search:
Join Our Community:
Watch for these Programs:
  • Astronomy Series
  • Birding Series
  • More 'Ghosts' in October
  • Snowshoe events when it snows!
  • Animal Encounter Series
  • 'CT Trail Day' Hike in June

Hezekiah Scott


Photo belongs to Old Sturbridge Village

The Scott family was a large family that traced its Ridgefield roots back to David Scott, one of the original proprietors. A colorful character, David Scott left Ireland and came to Ridgefield in 1712, purchasing a 12-acre lot on Main Street. At age 52, he took Elizabeth St. John as his wife. However, eventually it was discovered that he had abandoned his first wife Mary in Ireland. Consequently he was charged with bigamy and lost half of his land to Mary.

Hezekiah Scott was the son of James Scott II, fourth generation of the family. He was born in Scott’s Ridge area, which came to be known as the Scotland District. This area is south of Ridgefield High School, especially around Lake Pierrepont.

Hezekiah was a young boy at the time of the Battle of Ridgefield. The British, on their way to Ridgefield, encamped somewhere behind his home. Legend has it that the British officers borrowed flatware from the family, which they did return. The story of Hezekiah searching for his cow is fictional. But cows running loose were a common problem in rural Ridgefield. In 1727, the first pound for stray cattle, horses, pigs and other animals was built near the town green. In 1737 the town voted to add a pound in the Ridgebury section. This pound is still visible as a rectangle stonewalled area just south of the corner of Ridgebury & Chestnut Hill Road.

Hezekiah grew up to be a tanner and carpenter. He ran a water-powered sawmill on Ledges Road. But he is best remembered for the brandy and whiskey he distilled from the waters of the nearby Titicus River.

Search:
Join Our Community:
Watch for these Programs:
  • Astronomy Series
  • Birding Series
  • More 'Ghosts' in October
  • Snowshoe events when it snows!
  • Animal Encounter Series
  • 'CT Trail Day' Hike in June